Location: 401 Whitney Street, Grand Ledge, MI 48837
Hours: Wednesday from 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. and Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Due to the large volume of yard waste accumulated in the past, much of it from outside the area and from landscape contractors, and because of non-biodegradable debris (rocks, concrete, metal, etc.) discarded along with the yard waste, the following changes in the operation of the Grand Ledge / Oneida Compost Center are immediately effective:
- Use of the Compost Center is limited to City of Grand Ledge and Oneida Township residents, taxpayers, churches, and community service organizations only. An annual pass in the form of a windshield sticker is required for entry. The annual pass is available at either Grand Ledge City Hall or Oneida Township Hall. There is a $25.00 cost for the annual pass and proof of residency is required in the form of a picture ID, along with either a voter ID card, property tax notice/receipt, or City of Grand Ledge water/sewer bill. An applicant may purchase a maximum of two annual passes at a cost of $25.00 for each pass.
- An attendant is onsite at the Compost Center during hours of operation and will oversee disposal of yard waste. All vehicles entering the facility must stop upon entering the display an annual pass to the attendant. The attendant will also check all loads to ensure only acceptable materials are dropped off. A list of acceptable materials follows.
- Yard Waste from commercial haulers and landscape contractors is not allowed.
- Leaves, grass clippings, weeds, garden waste
- Paper lawn bags
- Limbs and branches less than 8 inches in diameter
- Shrubbery and hedge clippings
- Limbs and branches larger than 8 inches in diameter
- Yard waste in plastic bags
- Lumber or other construction materials